This post is also available in:
Having a regular workout routine is so important to keep ourselves healthy. What you may not know is that how you recover after a workout is just as important as the workout itself. Try incorporating these 5 simple tips to feel your very best after using your muscles.
1. Use a foam roller. In my experience foam rolling will reduce soreness and tightness more than just stretching, it can also help make you more flexible and prevent injuries.
2. Eat antioxidant-rich, inflammation fighting foods. You should really eat these all the time but especially in the meal following a workout since they can help you with recovery and keep soreness away. Great fruits and veggies to try are: blueberries, kiwi, pineapple, pomegranate, cherries, apples, walnuts, almonds, omega 3 fatty acids (salmon, herring and other fatty fish), ginger and red pepper.
3. Take fish oil. If you normally take fish oil 2 times a day save one of those servings for right after your workout. It will help reduce cortisol levels after a workout and lower inflammation.
4. Try Vitamin C. A great way to help metabolize the cortisol that you produce during a workout is to take about 5 grams of vitamin C after a workout, the harder you worked the more you’ll want.
5. Apply magnesium to your sore muscles. If you’ve had a very tough workout and are still feeling a little sore try applying some topical magnesium. It will help reduce inflammation and helps buffer lactic acid, which will help get rid of some of the soreness.
Photo by @eatwearlove on Instagram.
Jacqueline Banks, who grew up in Casa de Campo, is a certified holistic health counselor and busy mother.
Her focus is on helping other busy moms in all stages of motherhood keep themselves and families healthy and happy. She uses natural and organic solutions to solve individual health problems and promote clean living.
Check out her website at: www.jacquelinebanks.com