Avocados are a “super food” that most of us are familiar with. They’re healthy, delicious and packed with healthy fats and vitamins such as folic acid, vitamin K, vitamin B6, vitamin C and vitamin E. Their versatility makes them perfect for a lot more than guacamole! Here are some great ways to use these fabulous fruits.
1. Trade in your mayonnaise, butter or other favorite sandwich spread for this healthy, creamy fat. It goes great with any sandwich fixings or even on top of toast with some scrambled eggs.
2. You can add avocado to your favorite cake! Avocados can be used in any baking recipe, and are especially delicious in rich chocolate deserts, instead of butter or oil. Great for turning any treat into a vegan treat.
3. Make smoothies extra rich and buttery with an extra kick of fiber and potassium by adding some avocado. The slight avocado flavor is usually masked by the other fruits so don’t worry about a strange tasting drink.
4. Babies love the mushy texture and the light, buttery flavor of this fruit and its healthy fats make it one of the healthiest choices for a first food. It doesn’t get any easier –just slice it open, remove the pit and grab a spoonful.
5. Make some healthy chocolate pudding by mixing together some avocado, maple syrup, cocoa powder and a sprinkling of chocolate chips.
6. If you love the Italian classic prosciutto wrapped melon you’ll love it with a new twist. Simply switch out the melon for a slice of avocado and you’ve got a low-carb, delicious snack.
7. Did you know avocados freeze well, so you can stock up when they’re in season? Just cut them in half, remove the seed and the pit and sprinkle with some lemon juice before you toss them into the freezer.
8. With a few more ingredients from your kitchen you can make a moisturizing facial mask. All you need is ½ ripened avocado, 1 tablespoon plain yogurt and 2 tablespoons of honey. Mash and stir until it’s all combined and let the mask set on your face for about 15 minutes while you relax.
9. Get rid of blackheads all over your body with a simple avocado body scrub. Make a paste with 1 cup of mashed avocado, 4 spoonful’s’ of sugar and a spoonful of olive oil. Rub it all over your body for 15 minutes to get rid of dead skin and blackheads.
10. Repair salt and sun damaged hair with the ultimate nourishing hair mask. Mash together 1 avocado, 1 egg yolk and ½ teaspoon olive oil. Apply the mixture to dry hair, massaging into the scalp and concentrating on the ends. Allow it to set for about 30 minutes then rinse thoroughly with warm water.
Jacqueline Banks, who grew up in Casa de Campo, is a certified holistic health counselor and busy mother.
Her focus is on helping other busy moms in all stages of motherhood keep themselves and families healthy and happy. She uses natural and organic solutions to solve individual health problems and promote clean living.
Check out her website at: www.jacquelinebanks.com