This post is also available in: Spanish
The kiwi is a fuzzy little fruit that is a nutritional powerhouse. This often-underestimated bright green fruit is actually packed with vitamins, especially vitamin C, containing more per ounce than almost any other fruit. Kiwi makes a great salad topper for a tropical twist. It can also be peeled in advance and frozen for a sweet treat on a hot day.
Here are some of its great health benefits:
- Boosts Immunity. The high vitamin C levels along with other antioxidants have been found to help boost the immune system that can keep you from getting sick and helping you deal with stress.
- Improves Digestion. Raw kiwi contains a protein-dissolving enzyme, actinidain, which helps improve digestion through proper protein breakdown.
- Helps you Cleanse. The fiber in this little fruit helps bind toxins and move them out of your body through your intestinal tract.
- Low Glycemic Index. Some fruits are so sweet they can cause a sugar rush and spike your insulin levels. Kiwi has a low glycemic index which means it won’t create a strong insulin response making it less likely to be stored as fat. This also makes it a great fruit option for diabetics.
- Manages Blood Pressure. It has a high potassium level, which can help keep electrolytes in balance by counteracting the effects of sodium. Some believe that a low potassium intake could be a cause of high blood pressure so adding a kiwi to your diet may help prevent high blood pressure.
- Beautiful Skin. Vitamin C is an essential nutrient for collagen production. Collagen is needed to keep the skin elastic and smooth, helping prevent wrinkles and improving overall skin texture.
- Helps your heart. A daily intake of 2-3 kiwis has been shown to reduce triglycerides and has many of the same anti-clotting benefits as aspirin without any of the side effects.
- Protects your sight. Kiwis contains high levels of lutein and zeaxathin which are natural chemicals found in the human eye. This is thought to promote healthy vision and reduce the likelihood of macular degeneration, which is the leading cause of vision loss in older adults.
- Promotes Alkalinity. One of the most alkaline fruits there is, it contains a high level of minerals that can reduce acidity in the body. Keeping your body’s ph. levels balanced by reducing acidity can help boost your immune system, provide deeper sleep, give you more energy and promote youthful skin.
- Low in Pesticides. Kiwis were named one of the safest foods, showing low levels of pesticides and chemicals. This makes it a great fruit choice when you’re not able to choose organic.
While kiwis are a healthy choice for most people, those on beta-blockers or with kidney trouble might want to stay away. Beta-blockers can cause an increase in potassium levels so foods naturally high in potassium, such as kiwis, should be consumed in moderation. When kidneys aren’t fully functional they could have difficulty removing excess potassium from the blood so consult your doctor before making any dietary changes.
Jacqueline Banks, who grew up in Casa de Campo, is a certified holistic health counselor and busy mother. Her focus is on helping other busy moms in all stages of motherhood keep themselves and families healthy and happy.
She uses natural and organic solutions to solve individual health problems and promote clean living.
Check out her website at: www.jacquelinebanks.com