Sometimes it’s hard to stay home for a whole day, nonetheless more than one. Although it is true that in the Dominican Republic commercial activity is suspended in most areas, some businesses, such as supermarkets, pharmacies, and gasoline, must continue their operations, as they are basic needs. So if you need to leave your home to fight cabin fever with a short walk or bike ride around your neighborhood (following all safety measures when out), or buy something you ran out of this post is for all those who want to protect and not expose their loved ones who remain at home.
Remember: If you are going to leave home, TAKE CARE and always use the correct prevention measures. These recommendations are to minimize the risk of contamination and infection.
When leaving your house:
- It is preferable to use long sleeves, and women are advised to wear their hair up
- If you go out in a private car, clean the door handles, the steering wheel with alcohol (at least 60%) or disinfectant wipes.
- Do not greet with kisses or hugs or shake hands.
- Be attentive to the indications of the local authority about restrictions given to mobility and access to public places, such as shopping malls, clinics, hotels, restaurants. Visit only those places
strictly necessary and avoid conglomerations of people.
- Wash your hands with soap whenever possible or with alcohol-based gel after touching any surfaces, objects, handling money, and when arriving/leaving your destination.
- Assign an adult to do the shopping.
- Restrict visits to family and friends if anyone has respiratory symptoms.
When coming back home:
- When you enter the house take off your shoes and wash the sole with soap and water.
- Avoid touching anything and before having contact with your family members, change your clothes off and if you will not wear them again put them in a plastic bag or laundry bag, take a shower – all this to prevent contaminating the rest of the house.
- Keep work clothes separate from personal clothing.
- Bathe with plenty of soap and water – if not possible wash all the exposed areas
- Hand washing according to protocols.
- Disinfect items that have been tampered with outside the home – cellphones, reading glasses, sunglasses, etc and clean any areas or objects you might have been in contact with when entering your house.
- If possible leave all your regular items to leave your house in one particular area, a chest or box.
- If you have a purchase, disinfect the packaging and place it on a clean surface. Place the products in the fridge or pantry after being washed or disinfected.
Measures for users of private vehicles, motorcycles, and bicycles
- Regularly disinfect surfaces that you have frequent contact with, such as door handles, doors, steering wheel, gear lever, seat belt buckles, radio, vehicle commands, etc.
- Keep the vehicle ventilated, as much as possible
- When you get into the vehicle, open the doors and allow it to ventilate for a couple of minutes before getting in.
- For motorcycles and bicycles, regularly disinfect their handlebars.
- Disinfect safety elements, such as helmets, gloves, goggles, knee pads, among others.