This post is also available in: Spanish
Are you ready to “kickball”? Are you ready for a fun family afternoon at the Casa de Campo polo fields?
Then we look forward to seeing you on Sunday November 24th 2013 at 3:00 P.M. for the “Framboyán Open Kickball Tournament”.
The tournament is being organised by fun-loving member of the Casa de Campo community; Carmen “Tata” Santoni, who also organised (with the help of some other members of the Casa de Campo community) the Flamboyant Volleyball Tournament at Minitas Beach last year.
On this occasion the “Kickball Tournament” will be celebrated at the Casa de Campo polo fields. So what is kickball? The kickball game is played… (as the name indicates), by kicking a ball… Technically, it goes like this
Kickball – the basics
Kickball is a playground game and league game, similar to baseball, invented in the United States in the first half of the 20th century. It is similar to baseball where players kick the ball to bat it instead of using bats, making it more accessible to young children. As in baseball, teams alternate innings with one team attempting to score by having its players circle the bases and the other team in the outfield working to stop runs from being scored. Players on the batting team kick an inflated rubber ball to advance players around the bases and thus score runs. The team with the most runs after a predefined number of innings wins.ç
A few rules:
- kickball involves a bigger, about the size of a basketball
- kickball is played on a field with 4 bases arranged on the corners of a diamond-shaped “infield”.
- The ball is rolled towards home plate by kicking it.
- If the ball is caught in air, the kicker is out.
- A player is also out if the ball is thrown at them and hits them while they are not touching base.
- If the ball misses them they may run to the next base.
- Also similar as baseball, if the ball is thrown to the first baseman, and its caught by the first baseman while the player is touching the first, the player running to first base is out.
- Once a team gets 3 outs, they switch sides.
- A team gets a point if the runner makes it all the way around the base and back to home base.
- 3 innings have to be played in order to win, but its also up to the players to decide how many innings they want to do.
If you are interesting in making a team and getting involved, here’s everything you need to know:
Framboyán Open Kickball Tournament
When: Sunday November 24th, 3pm
Where: Casa de Campo Polo Fields
1 Team: 3 adult couples per team (3 guys, 3 girls)
Price: RD$400.00 per couple – RD$1,200.00 per team
Includes: 1 medal per couple to the first three places, gatorade, and referee.
Contact: [email protected]
Please send the registration of the teams before Monday November 18th so that everything can be properly organized.
What does “Framboyán” mean?
For those of you wondering what “Framboyán” means, here is a quick explanation…
Framboyán is another name for the Flamboyán tree or in English, Flamoyant. It is noted for its fern-like leaves and flamboyant display of flowers. This beautiful tree can be found growing all around the Casa de Campo resort and is in bloom from may to September.