This post is also available in: Spanish
Love bread, but are looking for a way to cut back refined carbohydrates? Well then this amazing guilt-free bread is for you!
Oh and not only is this bread really good for you (see Jacqueline’s health verdict below), it’s also perfect with crispy quinoa burgers (recipe here), or as a snack with a slice of cheese or guacamole.
Philip and I have become a little obsessed with it to be honest – it takes less than half an hour to make, it tastes great and is healthy – what’s not to love?!… So now here’s how you can make it too.
- 2 cups of flaxseed meal
- 5 beaten eggs
- 1 tablespoon of baking soda or baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/3 cup of oil
- 1/2 cup of water
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
- Combine all the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients and stir well.
- Lay a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet and lightly grease with butter or oil.
- Pour your mixture onto the tray and use a spoon to spread it out evenly, you want the mixture to be about 1 inch thick on the tray.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. You will know it’s ready because when you touch it, it will bounce up under your touch and you can also pierce it with a fork and it will come out clean.
- Leave to stand to cool down.
Crispy quinoa burgers served with flaxseed bread
So far I have added sunflower seeds to this recipe to add a little extra crunch, about 1/3 of a cup works nicely. I’m sure you could also experiment with all sorts of kinds of nuts and other seeds too.
The health verdict by Jacqueline Silvestri Banks
It’s a great recipe! There’s nothing I would change just make sure you use a high quality oil that stands up well in high temperatures such as coconut or avocado oil and make sure you store your flaxseed meal in the fridge!