This post is also available in: Spanish
If you’re ready to give up your coffee habit but not quite ready to kick caffeine completely, then green tea can be a great alternative.
Just like coffee though always remember that too much caffeine can backfire, making you sleepier and ultimately more dependent on it. I’m a big fan of sticking to one caffeinated beverage a day, preferably in the morning so it doesn’t interrupt your sleep.
Here are 5 reasons green tea is great!
1. It’s an antioxidant and can keep you healthy. Catechin– the antioxidant found in green tea- can fight and prevent cell damage. Along with the other antioxidants in green tea they can help reduce the formation of free radicals in the body, which are known for playing a part in the aging process.
2. Research has linked it to the prevention of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease. Some studies have even indicated that green tea drinkers have a lower risk of certain cancers including breast and prostate cancers.
3. Green tea has also been found to improve bone density and to benefit cardiovascular health.
4. Since it does contain quite a bit of caffeine it makes a great coffee replacer that will still give you that little burst of energy that coffee drinkers seek.
5. Studies have also shown green tea to increase fat burning, boost metabolism and drinking a little caffeine before a workout can help improve physical performance, so you can get an even better workout!
Don’t like the flavor?
Green tea does have quite a distinctive flavor so if you want to reap the benefits but don’t like the taste, there are a few things you could try:
Adding some mint leaves and fresh orange slices to your green tea while it’s brewing can give you a while new flavor profile. You could serve this hot, or let it cool, add ice and this makes a delicious ice tea.
Adding honey. A lot of people like to add honey to their green tea to make it sweeter and more palatable.
Jacqueline Banks, who grew up in Casa de Campo, is a certified holistic health counselor and busy mother. Her focus is on helping other busy moms in all stages of motherhood keep themselves and families healthy and happy. She uses natural and organic solutions to solve individual health problems and promote clean living. Check out her website at: www.jacquelinebanks.com
Photo credit: @thestylephile on instagram