This post is also available in: Spanish
It’s that time again ladies – mark your calendars for this Friday’s Café de la Leche hosted by Cesarina Grisolía! Can you believe its been more than 15 years of monthly gatherings to collect milk for the babies at the Hogar del Niño’s Crib Room? Every month we make sure to remind you about this event, but this month we want to remind you about WHY we do!
I recently visited the Hogar del Niño’s Crib Room for the first time and I was truly amazed at what I saw. Here is a quick recap of what I learned:
- Babies at the Hogar del Niño’s Crib Room are as young as a few weeks old up to two years of age.
- Most full-term babies need between 150ml and 200ml of formula per kilogram of their body weight every day! The Hogar del Niño’s Crib Room takes care of 200 babies from La Romana who most need the help EVERY DAY. With a bit of quick math skills and a calculator, we come up with a figure of 800 milk bottles per day! That’s a whole lot of milk needed to feed these babies!
- Café de la Leche was founded in 2001 by a group of ladies from the Patronato Benéfico Oriental (PBO) as a monthly gathering to collect more than 60% of the milk used at the Crib Room!
- The Crib Room is called like so because the entire room was filled with cribs. Now the 200 babies are no longer in cribs and they spend their day playing with toys in corrals with babies their age and with supervision of nurses and caretakers that make sure they are being stimulated with play! Take a look at this before and after picture of the Crib Room
Isn’t that just amazing!?!? If you want to help, it’s very simple:
- Go to the next Café de la Leche this Friday, hosted by Cesarina at Golf Villa #194 and bring your donation of milk or cash for the Crib Room
- VISIT THE CRIB ROOM YOURSELF!!! Playing, feeding and hanging out with babies is so fun and you are always welcome to come volunteer for a little bit.
If you want to learn more about the Café de la Leche and the Hogar del Niño’s Crib Room, check out the following video:
So ultimately, THAT is why we love the Café de la Leche gatherings and why you should not miss this Friday’s event. Not only do we get together to mingle, but we do so for the babies! If you have never been to the monthly gathering, I really encourage you to join us this Friday. if you are a “regular” then please remember why you attend and don’t miss this next one!
Friday’s Café de la Leche will take place at the beautifully modernized golf villa of Cesarina de Grisolia, which offers a delightful view of the Links golf course. We are looking forward to seeing everyone at 5pm!
Café de la Leche
When: Friday, April 8th, 5-7pm
Where: Golf Villa #194
Contribution: Milex Kinder, Gold, NAN, Enfamil, Alacta Plus, Nido Crecimiento of 1,800 grams, or RD $1,200
The Hogar del Niño
The Hogar del Niño is a children’s daycare and educational center for over 1500 children, located in La Romana town, just outside of Casa de Campo. Children from as young as just a few weeks old up to 18 years old are cared for and educated daily, from as early as 5:30am and staying as late as 7pm.
The organization also provides special schooling to over 75 hearing impaired and blind children, as well as a vocational school where over 235 students receive classes in different areas like: sewing; industrial preparation, installation and electrical maintenance; plumbing and management of computer office programs.
Contact the Hogar del Niño on:
Tel: (809) 523-8901 or (809) 556-3181
Email: [email protected]