Casa de Campo Living

Hurricane Season 2022 officially started on June 1st

This post is also available in: Spanish

This week on June 1st, the 2022 “Hurricane Season” began. Some of you might question how is that possible since it’s been so incredibly hot lately?! Well, coming into hurricane season doesn’t mean constant rain — it just means that when it does rain it’ll be stronger and more consistent than other times of the year. We plan on staying on top of potential hurricane developments as Casa de Campo can get hit hard at certain points of the year.

The Atlantic hurricane season extends from June 1st through November the 30th with the most ‘active’ months in the Dominican Republic typically being August, September, and October. September has proven to be the ‘peak’ month for hurricanes, tropical storms, and heavy rains. You’ll recall Hurricane George’s extensive damage to the resort that fell back in September of 1998.

NOAA’s outlook for the 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook indicates that an above-normal season is most likely, with a possibility the season could be extremely (aka hyper-) active. The outlook calls for a 65% chance of an above-normal season, followed by a 25% chance of a near-normal season, and only a 10% chance of a below-normal season. This outlook will be updated in early August to coincide with the onset of the peak months of the season (ASO).

Casa de Campo Living also checked the forecast at the National Hurricane Centre and it reports that for the North Atlantic, Caribbean Sea, and the Gulf of Mexico no tropical cyclone formations are expected over the next 5 days (as seen on the map above). We’ve also posted a series of tips before on how to prepare your home for Hurricane Season, and we also encourage you to check out the brochure prepared by ONAMET, the Dominican Republics’ official meteorology office. 

While we are invariably affected by some bad weather associated with hurricanes passing typically in the North, they do not normally make landfall; however, it’s important to be prepared.  The 2022 North Atlantic hurricane season is predicted to produce (with 70% probability for each range) 14-21 named storms, of which 6-10 are expected to become hurricanes, and 3-6 of those are expected to become major hurricanes.

We here at Casa de Campo Living will do our best to keep you informed, but for up to the minute notifications check out:

• www.nhc.noaa.gov – The National Hurricane Centre
• www.weather.com – The Weather Channel
• ONAMET.gov.do – the Dominican Republic’s official weather warning people (this one is in Spanish)
• Twitter: We recommend following NHC_Atlantic – for regular tweets on hurricanes, tropical storms etc

To Top