This post is also available in: Spanish
The Fundación Lirio del Valle invites you this Friday, March 15th to partake in picadera, paella, Spanish sangria and an incredible flamenco presentation on behalf of the children of Villa Caoba. This fundraising initiative, hosted by Inge Demyttenaere, will be held in villa Tornojas no.7 from 5 p.m. – 7 p.m. and contributes to the education of more than 120 impoverished children. Since 2009, the non-profit organization headed by Casa de Campo community member, Anna Maria Plà Pujal provides schooling and feeding to children from 3-13 years of age living in La Romana.
Anna Maria, originally from Barcelona, sought the support of partners, volunteers, and sponsors in the Dominican Republic and Spain (which includes the association of “Associació Amics de Villa Caoba”) to provide educational and recreational activities for the children of Villa Caoba, one of La Romana’s poorest communities. A small contribution of RD $2,500 or US $50.00 goes a long way to helping the foundation’s efforts, which include:
LIRIO DEL VALLE FOUNDATION
- 120 children enrolled in the Fundación Lirio del Valle program
- 75 children under the sponsorship program (We need more sponsors!)
- Coordination of activities, games, and meals for the children
- Provide clothes and meals to the families of the children
- Aim to educate them on personal hygiene
- Teach them to sing, play, and to learn to cope with challenges
- Teach moral and ethical values (such as sharing, respect toward others, and other social skills)
- Appointments for de-worming on a frequent basis with volunteer doctors of La Romana
- Educational workshops for mothers on values and hygiene
- Volunteers visit every Saturday and assist with meals and activities
- Coordination of volunteers from Spain
A number of these children have been sponsored by kind donors, who pay between USD $29 and USD $43 a month to provide meals, after-school assistance, and recreational activities as well as school equipment, instruction, and uniform, but still, more are in need!
Let’s continue to support this foundation and if you haven’t heard about it, it’s a great opportunity to meet those behind it and join in their mission. If you are unable to attend the event but would still like to contribute, you can do so by checking the different options of donating here. Friday’s invitation is open to all and looks to your help to contribute to the well-being of the children of Villa Caoba.
Paella Española and Sangria with sevillanas / flamenco dancing
When: Friday, March 15, 2019 from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Where: Toronjas,7 Casa de Campo
RSVP 809-330-7644 Dolly Molinari
RSVP ext. 8015 Evangelia Uckert
Contribution: RD$ 2,500 o US$ 50
To learn more about Fundacion Lirio del Valle or become a sponsor:
Anna Maria Plà Pujal, Founder: (809) 742-7247
Dolly Esteban: (809) 330-7644
Evangelina Uckert: (809) 523-8015
Inge Demyttenaere: (809) 543-2001
Facebook: Amigos de villa Caoba
Images from the last get together in support of the children of Villa Caoba