This post is also available in: Spanish
Despite being a popular tourist attraction, St. Stanislaus Church in Altos de Chavón has always been a religious institution. With Semana Santa (Easter Week) around the corner, we understand that while it is a festive time, it is also a religious celebration. Thus, we want to inform you of this week’s special Easter mass schedule in Casa de Campo.
Easter Mass Schedule 2023:
- Saturday, April 1st – No mass
- Sunday, April 2nd – Palm Sunday mass at 5 pm
- Wednesday, April 5th, Mass at 5 pm
- Thursday, April 6th — JUEVES SANTO / HOLY THURSDAY, Mass at 5 pm — Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament until 8 pm
- Friday, April 7th — VIERNES SANTO / GOOD FRIDAY, Adoration of the Cross | Rite of Good Friday 5 pm
- Saturday, April 8th — SÁBADO SANTO / HOLY SATURDAY — No Mass
- Sunday, April 9th— DOMINGO DE RESURRECCIÓN / EASTER SUNDAY, 6 pm
The regular service schedule is every Saturday at 5 pm and Sunday at 6 pm.
Did you know…
The St. Stanislaus Church was consecrated in 1979, three years before the Altos de Chavón amphitheater’s inauguration in 1982? To commemorate the occasion, Pope John Paul II sent the ashes of Poland’s patron saint, St. Stanislaus, along with a hand-carved statue from Krakow.
Have you ever wondered why Easter falls on a different date every year?
According to the Bible, Jesus Christ’s death and resurrection occurred during the Jewish Passover, celebrated on the first full moon following the vernal equinox. This led to Christians celebrating Easter on different dates based on the lunar cycle. In AD 325, it was decided that all Catholic Churches would celebrate Easter on the Sunday following the first full moon after the spring equinox, which falls on March 21 in the Gregorian calendar.
Next year’s Holy Week will be from March 24th to March 31st.