This post is also available in: Spanish
Besides being a nuisance, mosquitoes are vectors that spread a range of diseases such as dengue, zika, and chikungunya can cause aches and pains, fever, and even death.
Water is essential for mosquitoes to breed. Here are some recommendations for eliminating breeding grounds that will prevent this dangerous vector from spreading:
- Prevent water from accumulating in gardens and containers such as flowerpots, gutters, bottles, tires, and buckets. We recommend installing screens over ornamental ponds or fountains that cannot be moved or removed for any reason.
- Change the drinking water in pet bowls at least every two days.
- If the pool is out of use, it must be covered. However, if the pool is used regularly, the water must be treated with products that prevent the development of larvae.
- Eliminate weeds from your gardens and surroundings.
- Ensure that water tanks and cisterns are properly covered.
- Change the water in flower vases at least twice a week.
- Wash all water storage containers, and scrub clean the inner walls, preferably with bleach.
Keeping our environment clean and disease-free is everyone’s job. As always, we hope to have your continued cooperation and support.
* Information sent by Costasur Dominicana S.A