This post is also available in: Spanish
Telecommunication has totally changed with the rise of the Internet. A computer program called ‘Skype’ is one of the contributors to this change. Skype allows it’s users to make calls to anyone in the world for free, just as long as both the caller and the callee have the program installed on their computers or on the their Ipads or Iphones or skype phones. With Skype one can also do conference calling, video calling and texting.
SKYPE ON THE COMPUTER
What do you need:
1. A computer
2. An Internet connection (DSL like what we have at Casa de Campo or faster)
3. A microphone and headphone
4. A video cam (for video calling)
The use of skype on the computer is the oldest way of using the program. Most people use the computer because it is something they already own. However unless you have a wireless head phone and microphone you are tied to the computer.
If you own an Ipad1 you can use skype without video calling. With the Ipad2 you have a webcam included so video calling is available. With an Ipad you can move around while talking, as long as the Internet signal is getting to the Ipad. One can even make calls at airports or where ever you have a wireless Internet connection.
The use of Skype on the Iphone is pretty much the same as on the Ipad. The Iphone does have one advatage and that is that most people who own an Iphone also have a data plan or internet plan which allows them to browse the internet without the need of a modem (little black box that codetel or claro gives you). This gives you the ability to use Skype where ever you are, keeping in mind that you will be charged by your cell phone company for using the Internet.
If you are going to use Skype at home this is the best option out there. A skype phone can be wireless or not. The nice thing about it is that you don’t need a computer to use it and it is just like any other regular phone.
Which ever be the path you choose to take, there’s one thing in common to all, you will save money. There are more than 17,000,000 people using skype at any given time, probably you have family members and friends using it right now.
GETTING A SKYPE ACCOUNT
To use Skype on a computer, an Ipad, an Iphone or on a Skype phone you will need to register with Skype to get an account. Getting a Skype account is easy, follow these steps:
1. Click on this link: www.skype.com
2. In the top right hand corner, click ‘Join Skype’
3. Complete the registration form, when you are finished click the button at the bottom ‘I agree – continue’
4. Now Skype will automatically start to download from the Internet – you may have to accept the download, in which case look out for a pop-out window and hit ‘accept’
5. When the download completes, follow the instructions and your computer
6. You should now be ready to use Skype