This post is also available in: Spanish
Need a last minute gift for mom? Beautiful orchids by Costa Farms will enliven mom’s home and send a lot of love and charm her way. Phalaenopsis orchids are some of the most stylish and sophisticated plants, and they come in a variety of colors. From pinks and purple to apricot, orange, salmon, lemon and pure white, the flowers bloom in a fan shape that last for several months.
Costa Farms grows more than 1,500 varieties of houseplants and their beautiful nursery is just minutes away from Casa de Campo. The extensive farm boasts houseplants, orchids, indoor and outdoor cacti and succulents, tropical shrubs, and annual and perennial bedding plants. Orchids themselves make wonderful gifts as they’re adaptable to many environments and can easily grow in any bright spot. They tolerate low-light but bloom best in well-lit areas, needing just a slight protection from direct sunlight.
Costa Farms offers the following how-to’s of treating your orchid with care:
- Water your orchid when the moss or bark it’s potted in dries out. They prefer to be a little too-dry than too-wet.
- Water it by running water through the moss and out the drainage holes for a couple of minutes. Never let orchids sit in water. Repeat every 10 to 14 days.
- Repot every 1 or 2 years. When the bark or moss starts to look like soil it’s time to repot in a bigger pot with fresh orchid bark.
- Orchids love humidity — accomplish this by setting the orchid atop a tray of pebbles or sand and water. As the water in the tray evaporates, it humidifies the air around the plant.
- Misting an orchid is not as necessary as owners tend to think. (It’s actually more therapeutic to people than plants!)
- Use a fertilizer for orchids a couple of times in spring and summer to help them bloom best.
- Once flowers fade, cut the flower stem, and it will bloom again next year.
Costa Farms orchids are available at La Sirena, Jumbo, and Costa Farms nursery. See the gallery below for more beautiful styles and pick up one for mom this Mother’s Day!
Mother’s Day Give-Away
Currently, Costa Farms is offering the following give away that ends this Sunday! Simply following the steps below and be entered to win:
1. Like the photo
2. Tag 3 friends
3. Get your friends to follow Costa Farms Instagram!
REGALO PARA MAMÁ 🎁 Es tiempo de regalar y amamos tanto las plantas que queremos regalar este hermoso arreglo para que las disfrutes también. Sigue los siguientes pasos y quedaras participando: 1- Dale like a la foto 👍🏻 2- Etiqueta 3 [email protected] en los comentarios ([email protected] también recibirán obsequio) 🙋🏻🙋🏽♂️🙋🏾 3- Tus [email protected] deben seguir nuestro instagram @costafarmsrd 🌺 El ganador o la ganadora se anunciará el Domingo 28 de Mayo a las 7pm *Aplica únicamente en República Dominicana #costafarmsrd #instagramcontest #instagramgiveaway #contest #giveaway #instadaily #instagood #regalaamama #orchids #decor #2017
Costa Farms has a team of highly qualified agronomists and landscape architects as well as more than 15 years of experience in the design, installation, and maintenance of gardens and green areas. Located in La Romana, Dominican Republic, they have more than 45 years of experience in the production and merchandising of Ornamental plants in national and international markets.
Follow them on Instagram: @costafarmsrd